By Kelly Bogard
Every once in a while I get kicked out of my kitchen at home. Not because I am not doing a good job, but because my amazing husband wants to cook. During our 20-year relationship, he has cooked for me countless times and each meal is wonderful. We enjoy cooking together and have made it a priority to teach “Butters” how to enjoy cooking as well.
This past weekend was a busy one. We are getting ready to move to a new home. After packing pretty much the entire weekend, D still wanted to cook dinner. So, with “Butters” help, they made one of his favorite childhood meals.
It really is as easy as the ingredients make it look, which makes it the perfect daddy-daughter recipe for a budding young cook like our sweet girl. And even though the ingredients aren’t very complex, it makes for a great weeknight meal. As an added bonus, it is a great way to finish off National Beef Month.
First things, first. Place a large pot of water on the cooktop to boil for the macaroni. Once the water is boiling, add the noodles to the pot and cook per the box instructions. Don’t forget to add a touch of table salt to the water to flavor the noodles. Place the ground meat in a large skillet over medium-low heat and begin to brown. Go ahead and add the seasonings so they are well incorporated in the meat.
And there you go. A quick and easy meal that is amazingly tasty. I am so blessed to have a husband who loves to cook and wants to help with the nightly suppers. And he is such an awesome dad for helping teach “Butters” her way around the kitchen, too. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Macaroni and Meat
Summary: Beefy and cheesy weeknight pleaser
- 1 box macaroni and cheese
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Salt to taste .
- Add macaroni to boiling water and cook per box instructions.
- Set meat to brown in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Add in onion and pepper to cook down with the meat.
- Drain pasta and return to pot to combine with cheese per the box instructions.
- Once macaroni and cheese is prepared, add in the meat mixture.
- Stir well and serve warm.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4