By Kelly Bogard
All in favor of cooler weather please raise your hands. In my head, all of Texas is raising their hands right now. Thank you for that because I totally agree. This weekend is the official beginning of autumn and, in Central Texas, we have been told to expect our first cool front. I know that only means temps in the low 90s, but it is better than the 100s we faced this summer.
The impending change in the weather over the next few months got me to thinking that I might want to brush up on my oven skills. I need something quick and easy that is a real crowd pleaser on a busy evening or fall game day. What better than Frito Pie?
For Baked Frito Pie, you will need…
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 pkg. chili seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
4 to 5 cups corn chips
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
I’ve eaten Frito Pie for as long as I can remember. It is a staple at fairs, rodeos, football games and carnivals. Most of the time it is canned chili poured into an individual bag of corn chips and topped with cheese. This, my friends, is amazing but very messy. But not this version. This one is perfect for a plate or a bowl and all of the cheese gets melted.
This is a super-easy, season-friendly, kid-loving meal that is sure to please your household and friends. I hope you get a chance for cooler weather soon and experience all of the fun of fall in Texas. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Baked Frito Pie
Summary: Fall favorite with a twist
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pkg. chili seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 4 to 5 Cups corn chips
- 3 Cups sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown meat and onions in a large skillet. Drain excess grease from meat and return to the skillet.
- Mix in seasoning, diced tomatoes and sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Place 2 cups of corn chips in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups grated cheese.
- Cover with chili.
- Add remaining corn chips and cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until all cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with sour cream.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 8