By Kelly Bogard
Did you know my birthday is Sunday? Of course you did. You already have my gift in the mail, right? Okay, so I’m kidding about the gift, but Sept. 18 is my birthday. What makes the day even more special is sharing it with one of my favorite people—my mom, Bettilu. I was born on my mom’s 28th birthday and, according to her, she stopped having birthdays when I was born. (In “mom math” that makes me older than she is.) Sept. 18 also is National Cheeseburger Day. Homemade burgers are a favorite birthday meal at our house, but this year I found a low-carb option to celebrate: Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche. Not only is it yummy, but the crustless quiche fits into my low-carb diet.
For Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche, you will need…
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
6 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Garlic powder, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche certainly doesn’t replace a big juicy burger, but it comes in as a close second. The recipe is full of protein and makes a great weeknight meal for busy families.
Now that your ground beef is cooked, remove it from the heat and drain the grease. Add the bacon to the ground beef mixture. Move the meat mixture to a glass pie pan and press to the bottom. This creates your crust.
Baked eggs get extremely hot and need to rest before slicing, so wait 15 minutes or so before you cut into it. It will give you a chance to throw together a nice salad to accompany the creamy, warm quiche.
Happy birthday, Mom, and from all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche
Summary: Rich, creamy quiche packed with protein
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut your bacon into bite-sized pieces and fry in a large skillet until crispy.
- Remove to cool.
- Discard bacon grease, reserving approximately two teaspoons in the pan.
- Add ground beef and onion to pan.
- Season with garlic powder.
- Cook through.
- Combine mayonnaise and half-and-half in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk in the eggs.
- Stir in the cheese and season.
- Strain the grease from ground beef.
- Add bacon to ground beef mixture.
- Press meat mixture to the bottom of a glass pie dish.
- Pour egg mixture on top of the meat.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes to cool before cutting.
Prep time (duration): 30 minutes
Cooking time (duration): 45 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4-6