By Kelly Bogard
I don’t know about y’all, but I’m not a huge fan of cold weather. A Texas girl since birth, I just don’t handle it well. I don’t like coats or socks. But this time of year, they’re a must. Along with a big bowl of soup to warm you to the core after being out in the cold.
Chili, stew and soup are some of my favorite foods to eat in the winter. There’s nothing better than sitting at the dinner table watching a fire roar in the fireplace while enjoying any of these. Warm, inviting flavors. And the comfort of home in a bowl.
5 c. chicken broth, low sodium
3 c. water
1 1/2 lb. chicken breasts
2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 red onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp. butter
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
1 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 c. frozen sweet corn
1 tbsp. lime juice
corn tortilla strips
I know the list of ingredients seems never ending. But the end result is so worth it.
First, place the chicken in the bottom of a large pot and cover with chicken broth and water. Then, add the dry seasonings, stirring to combine. Boil the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the broth and set aside to cool. Turn the heat off under the broth and let sit.
This recipe is a great way to fight back against cold weather this winter. Warm. Comforting. Filling. And great with a piece of homemade cornbread. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup
Summary: Perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day
- 5 c. chicken broth, low sodium
- 3 c. water
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. butter
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 c. frozen sweet corn
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- corn tortilla strips
- shredded cheese
- green onions
- diced tomatoes
- sour cream
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a large pot and cover with broth and water.
- Add dry seasonings and boil until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and allow to cool.
- Move broth off the heat.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add the red onion, bell pepper and garlic to the pan and cook until tender.
- Stir the cooked vegetables into the broth and return the pot to the heat.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes and green chiles and simmer over medium-low heat.
- Shred the chicken and add it to the soup.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in corn, beans and lime juice. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with toppings as desired.
Cooking time (duration): 1 hour(s), 0 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4-6