By Kelly Bogard
There’s just something about a Grilled Cheese Sandwich. It is amazing that something so simple can be so good. Warm melted cheese sandwiched between two buttery slices of crusty brown bread. Just the thought of it makes me feel all warm and snuggly inside.
This month is National Grilled Cheese month. I don’t know who comes up with all of the food holidays, but I sure am glad they picked this sandwich to have its very own month. It’s so simply perfect and basic. In fact, I think it was one of the very first things I was taught to make. That makes it perfect for a Back to Basics recipe.
Did you notice I didn’t put any exact amounts for any of the ingredients this week? That’s because it is totally up to you how much or how little you use. There is no exact science to Grilled Cheese, just the bliss of making it just the way you want.
This classic sandwich is great by itself or with a complementing side like tomato soup or a nice green salad. I hope you enjoy this week’s simplicity and add your own twist to this timeless treat. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Summary: A cheese lover’s dream sandwich
- Potato bread
- sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- Monterey Jack cheese, sliced
- American cheese
- Butter two slices of bread on one side.
- Stack cheese on the unbuttered side of one piece of bread.
- Cover with the second slice of bread with the buttered side facing out.
- Place in a heated skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until browned.
- Flip the sandwich over in the skillet and repeat the browning process on the second side.
- Serve warm.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 5-10 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 1 sandwich