Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt
By Kelly Bogard
Little known fact… Today is National Pecan Cookie Day! That is a pretty big day in my house for several reasons. Number one, I make cookies. Number two, I make cookies with the Texas state nut. Number three, I make cookies with Texas pecans, chocolate chips and sea salt. Now do you see why it is such a happy day at my house?
These cookies are so good they take two days to make. Don’t worry, you won’t actually be baking for two days. You just make the dough 24 hours in advance so it has time to become the most wonderfully crispy and chewy cookie you have ever had. I can already smell them baking, so let’s get started.
For Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt, you will need…
1 cup salted butter (2 sticks), softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. table salt
1 tbsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. milk
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups Texas pecans, chopped
Now add in the vanilla, milk and eggs. Mix until well combined.
While you continue to mix, add 1/2 teaspoon table salt and baking soda. Then slowly add the flours by the spoonful so everything gets mixed evenly.
Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and pecans. Cover the batter and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. This is the end of day one.
The next day, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the batter from the refrigerator, and scoop rounded spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle each cookie with sea salt, and bake for 12-13 minutes. Once done, remove them from the baking sheet and set aside to cool. Repeat these steps until you have finished off the dough.
These cookies are so super moist and chewy. They remind me of the cookies my mom used to bring home from the store. You know, the ones made by the elves… Except these have my favorite nut and the sea salt is the perfect topper to the sugary goodness below.
So go ahead, make yourself some pecan cookies in honor of National Pecan Cookie Day. The Texas pecan farmers appreciate your business. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt
Summary: Chewy, nutty and chocolaty. The ultimate cookie.
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups Texas pecans, chopped
- Sea salt
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars.
- Add in eggs, milk and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the flour, table salt and baking soda while continuing to mix until batter is smooth.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Cover and refrigerate dough overnight (24 hours if possible).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scoop dough by the spoonful onto a baking sheet, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool and store in an airtight container.
Prep time (duration): 10-15 minutes
Baking time (duration): 12-13 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 3-4 dozen