By Kelly Bogard
Sometimes it takes a major happening to remind you how much you love something. Such is the case with Dublin Dr Pepper. Earlier this week, you probably saw Amanda’s post on the sad ending of Dublin Dr Pepper and a video looking back on this great product. I remember drinking Dublin Dr Pepper as a child and how much sweeter it was than other sodas. It was a rare occasion when we got it, so it was always a treat at our house.
Over the years, we slipped away to drinking regular Dr Pepper, which in its own right is amazing, too. However, in losing Dublin Dr Pepper, I remembered a recipe I have been wanting to make for a while now. So, as a tribute this week, I am making Dr Pepper Brisket.
For Dr Pepper Brisket, you will need…
1 (4-5 lb.) butcher-trimmed brisket
1 medium yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bottle chili sauce
2-3 tbsp. red pepper flakes
16 oz. Dr Pepper*
salt and pepper
*For this recipe, I prefer to use Dr Pepper made with cane or Imperial sugar, like Dublin Dr Pepper. But, if you can’t find the sugar cane version, regular Dr Pepper will do just fine.
First things first. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, place your brisket in a large, oven-safe casserole dish and season with salt and pepper on all sides, leaving the fat side of the brisket up when complete.
Cover with foil and put it in the oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until cooked through. Remove the foil for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Once cooked, allow the meat to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
While I was waiting on the brisket, I removed the juices and reduced them in a sauce pan over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. This makes a spicy sauce that is a great complement to the brisket. Slice and serve.
This brisket is moist, juicy, sweet and a little spicy, too. It is easy to prepare and is perfect for Sunday lunch. I hope you enjoy today’s throwback to Dublin Dr Pepper and continue to drink whatever Dr Pepper you can get at 10, 2 and 4. I know I will.
From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Dr Pepper Brisket
Summary: Sweet and spicy beef brisket to honor Dublin Dr Pepper
- 1 (4-5 lb.) butcher-trimmed brisket
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bottle chili sauce
- 2-3 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 16 oz. Dr Pepper
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season brisket with salt and pepper and place fat side up in a large casserole dish.
- Combine garlic and red pepper flakes. Rub onto fat side of brisket.
- Cover brisket with chili sauce.
- Arrange onion slices on top of brisket.
- Pour Dr Pepper over the whole dish.
- Cover with foil and heat in the oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, removing the foil for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from dish and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes prior to cutting.
- Pour juices from the dish into a sauce pan and reduce over medium-high heat for up to 10 minutes.
- Slice brisket and serve with a side of sauce.
Cooking time (duration): 3 hours
Number of servings (yield): 6