By Kelly Bogard
Feeding an active family is a challenge. While kids stay busy with school, sports and other activities, parents juggle schedules and keep their families healthy and strong by preparing good meals.
Sometimes you have to be creative with the menu and think ahead. This week is one of those at my house. Three nights of softball at least. And the possibility of a make up game from rain delays. This busy momma has come up with a plan for at least one of those nights.
For King Ranch Chicken, you will need…
1 pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, skinned and boned
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 c. salsa
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. butter
1 c. yellow onion, chopped
1 c. green bell pepper, chopped
10-12 corn tortillas
3 c. Mexican blend cheese, grated
This recipe can seem pretty daunting at first glance, but I promise it’s actually very quick. Using a pre-cooked chicken helps bring this from a Sunday evening meal to a weeknight delight.
First, preheat your oven to 325 degrees. While the oven is warming up, melt the butter in a large sauce pan and add the onion and bell pepper to soften. You don’t want them to be cooked all the way through so watch them closely.
This is a recipe that can be made ahead of time. Then, just pop it into the oven to cook. It freezes pretty well, too. So next time you think you are too busy to cook, just remember that a shortcut or two can put an amazing meal on the table for your family in an hour or less. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: King Ranch Chicken
Summary: Quick and easy weeknight delight
- 1 pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, skinned, boned and chopped
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 c. salsa
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. yellow onion, chopped
- 1 c. green bell pepper, chopped
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 3 c. Mexican blend cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cook onion and bell pepper in melted butter in a sauce pan to soften.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix together soups and salsa in a large bowl.
- Add seasoning to the soup mixture.
- Mix in chicken.
- Stir in vegetables.
- Cut tortillas into strips.
- Place a layer of strips in a prepared 9×13 baking dish.
- Spread half of the chicken mixture on top of the strips.
- Follow with a layer of cheese.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until cooked through.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 40 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6-8