By Kelly Bogard
Let’s talk chicken. It is so versatile. You can bake it. Fry it. Grill it. You can eat it as a main course or in a salad or dip. You can also stuff and bread it, like we are going to do today.
Our assistant editor Julie brought this idea to me and I am excited to share it with you. In addition to being yummy, it is pretty good for you, too.
For Tex-Mex Stuffed Chicken Breast, you will need…
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 large Haas avocados, skinned and seed removed
1 Roma tomato, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
½ red onion, chopped
½ tsp. garlic salt
2 cups Tortilla chips, crushed
½ tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper
This recipe is great for a weeknight dinner or for entertaining. The flavors are amazing and are sure to please a variety of palates.
Combine the tortilla crumbs and cumin in a shallow dish. Prepare the egg in the second shallow dish by beating it for an egg wash. Roll each piece of chicken in the egg wash and then in the tortilla crumbs.
If you want to get fancy with it, you could serve it with a dollop of sour cream, a salsa drizzle or maybe even a little bit of melted cheese. Whatever you do, it will be oh so good. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Tex-Mex Stuffed Chicken Breast
Summary: Baked chicken “stuffed” with flavor
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large Haas avocados, skinned and seed removed
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Tortilla chips, crushed
- ½ tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast.
- Mash the avocado and combine with tomatoes, onion, lemon juice and garlic.
- Fill each pocket with avocado mixture.
- Mix together crushed tortilla chips and cumin in a shallow dish.
- Beat the egg in a second shallow dish.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the egg and then in the tortilla chips.
- Place the breasts in a sprayed baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Baking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 45 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4