By Kelly Bogard
Happy pie day. Boy, are you in for a treat. Oh wait, I think I have something wrong here. It’s Pi, not pie. You know, 3.141592653. Every year since 1988, people have celebrated Pi with pie.
We will celebrate with pie. There are all kinds of pies, though. Here in Texas, we are big on fruit pies–Peach, Blackberry, Strawberry–you get the idea. And many of us are also fond of meringue pies and cream pies. Too bad that the fruit’s not in season yet or that would be on the menu today. So instead I thought we could have pizza pie, with a Texas twist of course.
These little pies are so quick and easy. They are perfect for snacks or party food. I have even been known to make them for dinner with a nice big salad.
First things, first. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. While your oven is heating, heat some olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken to the heated oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook through. Once the chicken is cooked, set it aside to cool before chopping it up into small pieces.
This is a perfect Texas pie for Pi day. And, if you are really excited about Pi, you could always add a Cherry Limeade Ice Box Pie or Rio Star Grapefruit Pie to the party. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: BBQ Chicken Pizza Pie
Summary: Texas style pizza pie
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. dried minced garlic
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 English muffins
- Cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Saute chicken seasoned with salt and pepper until cooked through.
- Set aside to cool and then chop into small pieces.
- Split the English muffins and place them on a baking sheet.
- Spread each muffin with BBQ sauce.
- Cover with cheese.
- Add chicken, chopped onion and dried garlic to each.
- Bake in the oven 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Add chopped cilantro before serving, if desired.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 8 pies