By Kelly Bogard
Have you ever had something stuck in your head and it just won’t get out…like a song, an idea or even a recipe? This seems to happen to me constantly. If it is a song, I have to sing it out loud before I can get it out. An idea, yep, I have to write it down or type it into my phone. I just can’t seem to focus once something gets stuck in there. I guess you could call this a character flaw.
When it comes to recipes, I must cook what I have stuck in my lovely little head. This week, it is a recipe that my mom, Bettilu, made for us when we were growing up. I haven’t had it in years, but a few weeks ago the thought of this amazing dish got stuck in my head and now I just can’t wait to make it.
For Steak Betti, you will need…
6 tbsp. butter
1 to 1 1/2 lb. Round Steak, approx. ½-inch thick
1/4 cup flour seasoned with garlic salt and pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 oz. canned mushroom pieces with liquid
8 oz. canned green peas with liquid
1 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
rice for serving
This recipe is one my mom adapted over the years, hence the name. I love how she always changes standard recipes and gives them just a bit more of the things she likes. This must be where I got it from and, with any luck, I will pass it along to Butters, too. The best part is this recipe is a super quick and easy weeknight meal.
See how easy this one is? And you get all your veggies in, too. I love my mom’s old recipes and can’t wait to hear what you think of this one. If you like it, send me a few of yours to try out. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Steak Betti
Summary: Beef, tomato sauce and a bunch of veggies create a quick and easy meal
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb. Round Steak, approx. ½-inch thick
- 1/4 cup flour seasoned with garlic salt and pepper
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oz. canned mushroom pieces with liquid
- 8 oz. canned green peas with liquid
- 1 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
- rice for serving
- Cut steak into 1-inch wide strips.
- Dredge steak pieces in seasoned flour.
- Sear on both sides in butter.
- Mix additional ingredients together and pour over seared steak.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover with well-fitting lid.
- Cook for approximately 30 minutes or until steak is cooked through and tender.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 40 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4