By Kelly Bogard
It’s finally here! We are getting our daylight back. Some people dread losing an hour of sleep this time of year, but I get so excited about it. The trade off to get the extra hour of sunshine is so worth it—in my opinion. It gives us extra time to work in the yard, fly a kite, take our kids to the park and just enjoy spring.
I love when we spring forward. I also am a big fan of Spring Rolls. So this week, I decided that I would take a turn from the traditional Spring Roll and make something to celebrate the extra hour of daylight we get starting on Sunday. And you all know how much I like breakfast.
For Breakfast “Spring Forward” Rolls, you will need…
1 lb. breakfast sausage
3 tbsp. water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
1 bunch green onions, chopped
Water for sealing rolls
First things, first. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Crumble your sausage into a large skillet and cook through. While the sausage is cooking, whisk together the eggs and water. Once the sausage is cooked, drain the grease and add the eggs to the skillet with the meat. Season to taste and cook until eggs are just firm.
Now that the eggs and sausage are cooked, combine them in a large bowl with the green onions and set aside to cool. Add in the cheese once the mixture has set for 5-10 minutes. Stir everything together until mixed well.
Lay your eggroll skins on a flat surface with a point facing you like a diamond. Fill about halfway with the egg mixture. This is about two to three tablespoons.
Tuck the sides of the eggroll in over the egg mixture, and roll until almost closed. Using your finger, dab a little water on the edge of the open end of the wrapper to moisten, and then close completely. This will seal everything in.
Spray your baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place the seal-side down on the prepared baking sheet and repeat the steps until all of the rolls are prepared. Bake for 8 minutes on one side, and then flip them over and cook for 8 more minutes to brown both sides. If you’d like, you also can brush them with a bit of melted butter to brown them a little more evenly. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Since I am already being punny with this blog, I might as well tell you these are some of the best “egg” rolls I have ever made, and my family can’t get enough of them!
From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Breakfast “Spring Forward” Rolls
Summary: Quick and easy breakfast roll
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp. water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Eggroll skins
- Water for sealing rolls
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Crumble and cook sausage in a large skillet; then drain grease.
- Whisk together eggs, water and seasoning and add to skillet with sausage.
- Cook eggs until just firm.
- Move the eggs and sausage to a large mixing bowl and let stand for 5 minutes to cool.
- Add cheese and green onions. Stir well.
- With the eggroll skin facing you like a diamond, add two to three tablespoons of the egg mixture.
- Roll the mixture up in the eggroll skin, folding in the corners as you go.
- Dab a little water on the final corner and seal the roll.
- Place seam-side down on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Note: You can brush the rolls with melted butter for more even browning.
Cooking time (duration): 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6