By Kelly Bogard
The holidays are fast approaching and my kitchen is heating up.
In the past week, Butters and I have baked for several different occasions. From cakes to brownies, we have been busy.
As I start my Thanksgiving list, I always try to think of something unique I can add to the traditional sweets brought to the table. This year, instead of having apple pie, I think that we will try out this recipe.
For Baked Apples, you will need…
4 medium-sized Gala apples, washed and dried
1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 C. butter, salted
1/4 C. rolled oats
1/4 C. brown sugar, packed
1/4 C. pecans, chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon
Gala apples are perfect for baking this way, because they’re dense enough to hold up to the heat without getting super soggy.
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. While your oven is heating, cut 6 tablespoons of butter into small cubes and then combine with the dry ingredients by hand. You’re looking for a crumbly consistency.
Next, prepare your apples. Remove a circular portion of the top and remove the stem and seeds using a melon baller. This is a lot like when you prepare a pumpkin for carving. You want to remove some of the apple flesh to make room for the oat stuffing.
These individual desserts are not only tasty, they are pretty, too. You can even dress them up with homemade whipped cream and a cinnamon stick. What are you thinking of for Thanksgiving? I would love to know. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Baked Apples
Summary: Warm holiday fruit delight
- 4 medium-sized Gala apples, washed and dried
- 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 C. butter, salted
- 1/4 C. rolled oats
- 1/4 C. brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 C. pecans, chopped
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut 6 Tbsp. of butter into cubes and combine by hand with dry ingredients.
- Remove tops of apples and create a well by scooping out the stem and seeds.
- Fill each apple with the oat mixture, packing firm.
- Top each apple with remaining butter.
- Bake for 40 minutes in individual or large oven-safe dishes that will keep the apples upright.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Baking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 40 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4