By Kelly Bogard
Pulled Pork Sliders are a great way to zest up mealtime. Add Dr Pepper, and the flavor takes on a whole new level.
As a native Wacoan, I have a special place in my heart for Dr Pepper. And like many Texans, I think it makes just about everything better. The sweetness can bring a unique flavor to most any meat including ham and brisket. This week’s recipe is no different.
For Dr Pepper Pulled Pork Sliders, you will need…
4 to 5 lb. pork butt
20 oz. Dr Pepper
1-11 oz. can Chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
1 c barbecue sauce
1/4 c honey
1 tbsp coarse pepper
2 tsp salt
This sweet and spicy pork can feed a crowd in no time flat. Especially when you make it in an electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot or a slow cooker. In a few short steps, you can have supper cooking and be able to walk away from it to enjoy whatever else may be going on.
Start by seasoning the pork on all sides with the salt and pepper and placing it in the pot.
Stir together the Chipotle peppers with the sauce and honey in a large bowl, while slowly adding the Dr Pepper. Add it too fast and you will have a mess from the carbonation. Then, pour it on top of the pork. Close the lid and cook on the pork setting. If you are making it in the slow cooker, turn it to low and cook for about eight hours.
Once the pork is cooked and the pressure releases naturally, pull the pork from the liquid and shred with forks. Pour the barbecue sauce over the shredded meat and mix until everything is coated.
Layer the meat and cole slaw on small buns or sliders for serving. We like to use the sweet rolls, since they bring out a little more flavor in the meat.
It’s a little messy but real tasty. And depending on how many mouths you’re feeding, you might even have enough left over for lunch the next day. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
|Passive Time||15 minutes|
- 4 to 5 lb pork butt
- 20 oz Dr. Pepper
- 1-11 oz can chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- 1 c barbecue sauce
- 1/4 c honey
- 1 tbsp coarse pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- cole slaw
- sweet rolls
- Season the pork on all sides with the salt and pepper.
- Place in the pot.
- Stir together the chipotle peppers with the sauce and honey in a large bowl.
- Slowly add the Dr. Pepper.
- Pour the mixture on top of the pork.
- Close the lid and cook on the pork setting. If you are doing it in the slow cooker turn it to low and cook for about eight hours. Let the pressure releases naturally on a pressure cooker.
- Remove the pork from the liquid and shred with forks.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the shredded meat and mix until everything is coated.
- Layer the meat and cole slaw on small buns or sliders for serving.
Made Dr. Pepper pulled pork in my slow cooker today. Three generations around my table loved it. Yummmmm.
Hi Bettilu. So glad you enjoyed them.