By Kelly Bogard
The biggest food holiday of the year is almost here. My family consumes twice the amount of food on Thanksgiving Day than we normally eat. Turkey, ham, dressing and plenty of fresh veggies. There’s always enough for a feast. But plenty of leftovers, too!
The go-to at my house the day after is a turkey sandwich. With dressing and cranberry sauce, of course. Sometimes we make Turkey Pot Pies. But this year, I’m trying something different.
Turkey Bites can be an appetizer that’s perfect to feed the weekend football crowd. They’re great for dipping in leftover gravy or cranberry sauce. Crispy on the outside with a warm, moist center.
Whisk the eggs and then pour onto the turkey and dressing mixture. Mix well until it has a sticky texture. If the mixture is too dry, try adding a small amount of chicken broth. I would suggest only a few tablespoons at a time, so you don’t end up with the mix too wet.
Once your oil is hot, place several of the balls in the oil to fry. I heat mine on high since I am just flash frying the already cooked food. As they begin to brown, flip over so they brown evenly. This will go extremely fast. No more than about a minute per side.
These day-after treats are super quick, easy and a great use of leftover food. I hope you have a full plate and heart this Thanksgiving holiday. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Deep-fried Turkey Bites
Summary: Yummy use for Thanksgiving leftovers
- 4 c. cornbread dressing
- 3 c. turkey
- 2 eggs
- chicken broth as needed
- oil for frying
- Chop the turkey into small pieces.
- Mix with dressing and set aside.
- Whisk eggs.
- Combine the eggs into the dressing/turkey mixture until sticky. Add a small amount of chicken broth if the mixture is too dry.
- Spoon out a portion of the mix and roll into a ball. Repeat this process until all the mixture is used.
- Place several balls into the heated cooking oil on high heat for approximately one minute and then flip and fry for one minute more.
- Remove from oil and drain any remaining grease from each ball. Repeat the cooking process as needed for remaining pieces.
- Serve warm with gravy and cranberry sauce for dipping.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 15 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 20+ pieces