By Kelly Bogard
There is nothing that makes me happier than taking care of my family. Making sure that D and Butters are well cared for is at the top of my to do list daily. But in order to take care of them, I have to take care of me. Eating healthy is just one of the ways I can do that. Bonus: Cooking healthy affects the whole family, not just me. So every time I make a meal that is good for me, I am also making one that is good for them.
Earlier in the week, you may have read Jessica’s post about healthy eating and lean meats. So, I decided to piggyback on that this week and make something that includes one of those really good lean meats, plus a few other things that are good for you.
For White Chili, you will need…
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed
3 15-oz. cans white kidney beans, rinsed & drained
6 cups chicken broth
8 oz. cream cheese, reduced fat
1 small onion, chopped
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 4-oz. can diced green chilies
2 tsp. dried garlic
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne
When I was preparing the recipe this week, I had several of my coworkers who stopped by because of the amazing smell. They thought I was making tacos. So when they saw that I was making something that resembled soup, they were a bit confused. White Chili is a chicken-based soup/chili. It has some amazing seasonings and is pretty darn good for you.
First things, first. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Once warm, add the chicken, onion, garlic and cumin. Saute until the chicken is cooked through and onions begin to caramelize.
While the chicken is cooking, in a large stock pot or dutch oven, mix together the chicken broth, white kidney beans, green chilies, oregano and cayenne. Stir everything together well and set aside. Quick bit about kidney beans: They are considered a fiber all-star because of their high fiber content.
Finally, move the chicken mixture over to the pot with the broth and beans. Bring the chili to a boil. Then stir in a handful of chopped cilantro and the salt and pepper. Reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes to thicken.
What you end up with is a thick and hearty chicken and bean chili with lots of fiber and protein. So, next time you are looking for a good meal for the body and soul, try this quick and easy cold day pleaser. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: White Chili
Summary: Warm, creamy and healthy chili for the family
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed
- 3 15-oz. cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. cream cheese, reduced fat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chilies
- 2 tsp. dried garlic
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- Saute the chicken, onion, garlic and cumin in vegetable oil in a large skillet until chicken is cooked through and onions begin to caramelize.
- In a large stock pot, mix together the rinsed beans, chicken broth, green chilies, oregano and cayenne.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add cubed cream cheese and heat until all is melted.
- Add the chicken mixture to the broth, stirring well to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil and then reduce to medium heat to simmer.
- Add one handful of chopped cilantro, stirring in.
- Simmer for 30 minutes to thicken.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 45 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6