By Amanda Hill
The clock is ticking. There are just a few days until Christmas and little time left to get your holiday shopping done. I should know, I’m anxiously watching the days click away as my list remains about as long as it was a few weeks ago. There’s just so much to do this time of year!
This week, my reason for sharing Red Hot Popcorn is twofold: it makes a great holiday gift, and you might just need a batch to relax by the tree after the hustle and bustle calms a bit. Whatever your reason, this treat is addicting. It’s the perfect gift for teachers, co-workers, your mailman—everyone loves this stuff.
4 bags microwave popcorn, popped
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 pkg. (8 oz.) cinnamon imperials
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. red liquid food coloring
First, preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the popped popcorn in a lightly-greased, large roasting pan. (I use a disposable tin roasting pan. It makes clean up really easy.) Next, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Once the butter is melted, stir in the sugar, cinnamon imperials, corn syrup and salt. Stir this mixture constantly, bringing it to a boil.
Continue stirring and let the mixture boil for another 5 minutes or until the candies melt. Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the baking soda and food coloring. Don’t worry, the mixture will foam a little bit—that’s normal.
Pour the syrup mixture over the popcorn.
Stir until well-coated. Then, bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and spread it over lightly-greased wax paper to cool.
Once cooled, you can prepare it for gifts or store it in an airtight container to enjoy later.
I got this recipe from a family friend a few years ago, and I’ve made it for friends every year since. It just wouldn’t be Christmas without it.
As we prepare for the Christmas holiday, I wish you the best of luck in completing your lists and finding the perfect gifts. But I also wish you rest and time to truly enjoy the family and friends who surround you. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Red Hot Popcorn
Summary: The perfect gift or just an addicting treat
- 4 bags microwave popcorn, popped
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 pkg. (8 oz.) cinnamon imperials
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. red liquid food coloring
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place popcorn in a lightly-greased, large roasting pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Once butter is melted, stir in sugar, Red Hots, corn syrup and salt.
- Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil. Continue stirring and let the mixture boil for another 5 minutes, or until the candies melt.
- Remove from heat, stir in baking soda and food coloring. (Mixture will foam.)
- Pour syrup over popcorn, and stir until well-coated.
- Bake 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread over lightly-greased wax paper to cool.
- Package in small, plastic bags for gifts or store in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Prep time (duration): 1 hour
Number of servings (yield): 8-10