By Kelly Bogard
Finally, the wait is over! It’s football season in the great state of Texas. Most everyone I know is involved with football in one way or another. Let’s face it, it’s a Texas way of life. Whether it’s Pee Wee, high school, college or professional, we all have our favorite teams.
My house bleeds maroon. I grew up in Waco, home of the Baylor Bears, and I graduated from Stephen F. Austin in the deep piney woods of East Texas. But from a very young age, I can recall waking up to the Aggie War Hymn playing over my dad’s home stereo in preparation of the game of the day. Now, Butters’ memories may be a little different. She’ll probably remember putting on her favorite maroon dress and helping her mommy make game day treats.
Today, I thought I would share one of my favorite football recipes from the Junior League of Waco’s Simply Serving cookbook.
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tbsp. prepared mustard
1-1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
1 tbsp. chopped onion
6 kaiser rolls
1 lb. shaved turkey
1 lb. shaved ham
6 slices Swiss cheese
6 slices American cheese
Chopped black olives (optional)
First things, first. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While your oven is heating, go ahead and prepare your dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and mixing well.
Top with the chopped olives and close.
Finally, wrap the sandwiches in foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
These sandwiches are perfect for tailgating or at home. They can be prepped in advance and heated as needed.
I hope your team has a great season, and you have some great football food. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Tailgate Sandwiches
Summary: Hot cheesy sandwiches, perfect for any football game
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp. chopped onion
- 6 kaiser rolls
- 1 lb. shaved turkey
- 1 lb. shaved ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices American cheese
- Chopped black olives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine melted butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds and onion in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Split each roll horizontally.
- Spread dressing on both sides of the interior of the roll.
- Layer the turkey, ham and cheese on the bottom half of the roll and sprinkle with black olives.
- Top with the remaining half of the roll.
- Repeat the steps above with each additional roll.
- Wrap in foil and bake for 10-15 minutes. You also can freeze the sandwiches, thaw in the refrigerator and bake at serving time.
Prep time (duration): 5-10 minutes
Cooking time (duration): 10-15 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6 sandwiches