By Kelly Bogard
I don’t know about y’all, but I am a “snacky” kind of person. I would just as soon snack all day as sit down for a full-blown meal. And next weekend is the perfect time to be a snacker. There is a big football game next weekend. Two teams playing in New York. I will most likely have a house full of people, not watching the game but the commercials.
If there isn’t a Texas team playing, then chances are the people I know aren’t interested. But the opportunity to spend time with friends and family while watching hilarious commercials and eating epic food is not something I am going to forgo just because I don’t know anything about or of the teams or their players. What better to snack on during a football party? Why pizza, of course.
For Triple Meat Pizza Bread, you will need…
3 cans refrigerated Italian bread
3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
4 oz. pepperoni, chopped
4 oz. Canadian bacon, chopped
1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
Jarred pizza sauce for dipping
I made a version of this for a party earlier in the week and everyone just raved about it. It just had the pepperoni so I thought I would kick it up a little for the special event next Sunday and triple the meat. Seriously, who doesn’t like a meaty pizza?
First things, first. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. While your oven is heating, remove the casing and brown the sausage in a skillet. Once it is cooked through, drain the grease off and set aside to cool.
Cut one package of the refrigerated dough into large chunks and place in a bowl. Once you fill the bottom of the bowl, pour on a little bit of olive oil to coat the bread pieces. Repeat until all of the bread is coated. I find it easier to have my baking dish handy at this point, too. That way, I have a place for the bread as it comes out of the bowl.
Now, put the first batch of dough in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover it with 1/2 the meat mixture and 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat the process with the remaining dough and filling, ending with the last pack of sectioned dough topped with the last of the cheese.
This is a great go-to recipe for parties and it is easily modified to fit your particular pizza taste. It is best served warm with pizza sauce for dipping. Here’s to a wonderful week ahead and much laughter at the commercials next Sunday. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Triple Meat Pizza Bread
Summary: Perfect football food for sharing
- 3 cans refrigerated Italian bread
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 oz. pepperoni, chopped
- 4 oz. Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- Jarred pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove sausage from casing and brown in a skillet.
- Mix together cheese and seasoning. Set aside.
- Remove grease from cooked sausage and allow to cool some.
- Combine three meats in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut up one package of bread into small chunks and coat with oil.
- Place the dough in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Then layer on ½ of the meat mixture.
- Top with 1/3 of the seasoned cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Top with final package of coated bread dough and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until center is no longer doughy.
- Serve warm with pizza sauce for dipping.
Prep time (duration): 0 hour(s), 15 minutes
Baking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 12-18