By Kelly Bogard
It’s funny how the time of year can make you want certain flavors. I noticed that I have a flavor for every season.
For spring, I like something bright such as lemon. And during the summer, I go for a classic vanilla flavor like in ice cream. In the fall, I can’t get enough cinnamon.
But for winter, it has to be peppermint. So this week, I made my favorite cupcakes for the season.
[wpcol_1half id=”” class=”sep” style=”vertical-align:text-top;”]
For Peppermint Cupcakes, you will need…
1 French Vanilla boxed cake mix
1 c. water
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. crushed peppermints
2 tsp. peppermint extract[/wpcol_1half] [wpcol_1half_end id=”” class=”” style=”vertical-align:text-top;”]
And for the icing, you will need…
4-5 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
2 tsp. half-and-half
1 tsp. vanilla extract[/wpcol_1half_end]
Cupcakes are perfect for holiday gift giving. They are quick to make, fun to decorate and easy to share.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and mixing together your box cake with the eggs, oil, water and peppermint extract until the batter is smooth.
After lining your cupcake pans, mix half of the crushed peppermints into the batter and stir well.
Scoop the batter into the cupcake pan to about half-full on each cup. Then bake for 15 minutes or until the cakes are golden and baked through.
While your cakes are cooling, cream together the butter, shortening and vanilla to make your icing.
Slowly add the powdered sugar, and mix well to combine. Once it’s all mixed together, add half-and-half one teaspoon at a time until the frosting is the right consistency. Try not to over mix, though, because the butter will separate if it gets too warm.
Pipe the icing on the cooled cakes and top with remaining crushed peppermint.
You can be really creative with your presentation, too. As our gift to you, we made a printable gift tag so you can share your treats. From all of us at Texas Table Top,enjoy!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
|Passive Time||45 minutes|
- 1 French Vanilla boxed cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. crushed peppermints
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 4-5 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
- 2 tsp. half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the box cake with the eggs, oil, water and peppermint extract until smooth.
- Line the cupcake pans.
- Mix half of the crushed peppermints into the batter and stir well.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake pan to about half-full on each cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cakes are golden and baked through.
- Set the cakes out to cool.
- Cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla for the icing.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix well to combine.
- Add half-and-half one teaspoon at a time until the frosting is the right consistency.
- Pipe the icing on the cooled cakes and top with remaining crushed peppermint.
How do I get the tags to print? My e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi Dinah, The file is a jpeg so you should be able to save the picture and then print. Merry Christmas!