By Kelly Bogard
Have you been to the farmers market lately? Or even to the grocery store? I’ve been to both, and they’re so bright and colorful with the fresh summer vegetables.
Carrots, zucchini, eggplant, oh my! The flavors and the colors of this vegetable pie recipe taste like summer in a dish. And it’s great for all the fresh veggies you find right now!
For Vegetable Pie, you will need…
2 pre-made pie crust
1 c. mozzarella cheese, grated
1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
2 yellow squash
2 c. half-&-half
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Now I know I am asking you to turn on your oven in the middle of summer but I promise we won’t leave it on too long and once you see how amazing this pie is you will completely forget the little bit of heat. Plus this recipe makes two pies so you can share.
Start by pre-baking your pie crust per the package directions. You can make you shell from scratch, but I don’t usually have time when making this on a week night. Once done, leave the oven preheated to 350 degrees. While the crust is baking, slice the ends off the washed veggies and use a peeler to create thin strips of the carrots, zucchini, squash and eggplant. Once you have them all sliced, cut them in half lengthwise, creating twice as many strips.
Mix together the cheeses and pour them into the bottom of the baked crust.
Starting in the center, roll the vegetable strips into an alternating spiral pattern until the crust is full.
Whisk together eggs, half-&-half, salt and pepper. Then pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Bake for 50 minutes or until set. Be sure to let it sit for 10 minutes after it is through baking, so everything will get firm in the pan.
This pie is almost too pretty too eat, but you have to eat it because it tastes so good! It’s perfect for a side dish or a main course. Check out the farmers market this weekend or grab the veggies from the grocery store. And let me know if you come up a new recipe I might want to try. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||50 minutes|
- 2 pre-made pie crust
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 carrots
- 2 zucchini
- 2 squash
- 1 eggplant
- 5 eggs
- 2 c. half-&-half
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Pre-bake crust per package instructions. Leave the oven on and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Slice off the ends of the vegetables.
- Use a vegetable peeler to slice the vegetables lengthwise into thin strips.
- Slice the strips in half lengthwise.
- Mix together cheese and cover bottom of baked crust.
- Starting in the center, roll the vegetable strips into an alternating spiral pattern until the crust is full.
- Whisk together eggs, half-&-half, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the spiral of vegetables.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until set.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Leave A Comment