By Kelly Bogard
There’s just something comforting about a warm meal after a long day. And when it’s classic comfort food, it seems to melt the troubles of the day away.
I think pies are tasty comfort food. I’ll take pie or quiche loaded with meat and veggies over a sweet one most any day. They warm not only my body but my soul.
We had a taste of cooler weather this week. Hopefully it comes back soon to stay! And when it does, I have the recipe that will warm your whole family inside and out.
For Chicken Pot Pie, you will need…
1 set pie crust
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 lb. chicken, cubed
2 carrots, diced
1 baking potato, diced
1 c. peas
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 c. milk
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme
Chicken Pot Pie doesn’t have to be a tough dish to put together. I sometimes use a store bought crust, but I like to make this crust when I can. I’ve also been known to cook the chicken in advance and reheat it with the vegetables, so I can make it quickly on a weeknight. You can also choose veggies that work for your family. These classic ones work for mine.
Start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees. While the oven is heating, melt the butter in a large pan and cook the chicken through with all of the seasonings.
Once the chicken is cooked, add in your fresh veggies and reduce the heat to simmer. Place a lid over the pan and let it steam the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
Mix together the soup and milk, and pour it over the chicken mixture. Then prep your pie plate by placing half of the dough for the bottom of the pie. I like to use a 9″ deep dish pie plate.
Fill the pie crust with the mixture and top with the second half of the pie crust. Be sure to vent it somehow to let the steam escape.
Whisk the egg and brush it over the exposed pie crust to give it a nice shine. Bake the pie for about 35 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
I usually let mine set up out of the oven for about 10 minutes after baking, so it has time too cool just a bit. Whether you’re coming home from the office or the field, a home cooked hot meal is always a great end to the day. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
- 1 set pie crust
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 egg
- 1 lb. chicken cubed
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 baking potato diced
- 1 c. peas
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/4 c. milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt the butter in large pan over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken in butter with all seasonings.
- Add the diced vegetables to the cooked chicken and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for approximately five minutes.
- Mix together the soup and milk.
- Pour over the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Place one half of the pie crust in a 9" deep dish pie plate.
- Spoon in the chicken mixture.
- Top with the second half of the pie crust. Be sure to vent the top crust.
- Whisk the egg and brush it over the top crust.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting or serving.
Leave A Comment