By Kelly Bogard
It’s the time of year when we all know at least one person who’s sick. The weather is changing and someone always has a cold to share. It’s almost like those viruses know the perfect time to hit.
But I have a way to hit back. There’s an old saying about feeding a cold. I’m not sure if it’s true, but this week’s recipe sure does make me feel better when I’m under the weather.
For Chicken Noodle Soup, you will need…
3 lbs. split chicken breasts
96 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. coarse pepper
5 carrots, sliced
6 ribs celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. butter
4 1/2 c. egg noodles
3 c. water
This recipe makes plenty so you can send some to a sick friend and still have some for your family at supper time. The protein from the chicken, alongside the vitamins in the fresh veggies, will give a kick to your immune system to hopefully keep you well, too.
Let the chicken boil for 20 to 30 minutes or until it is cooked through. Now you can work on the veggies. Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic and saute until just tender.
This is a great way to eat healthy and show a little extra TLC to someone who could use a boost. I hope you have a healthy spring and from all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Chicken Noodle Soup
Summary: Classic comfort food to feed the soul
- 3 lbs. split chicken breasts
- 96 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse pepper
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 6 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 4 1/2 c. egg noodles
- 3 c. water
- Place chicken in a large stock pot and season with dry seasoning and parsley.
- Add chicken broth.
- Boil chicken in broth over high heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- With chicken boiling, heat the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and saute over medium heat until just tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth to cool.
- Add water to the broth and bring back to a boil.
- Boil the noodles until just underdone.
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and chop the meat into small pieces.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back into the broth with the noodles.
- Simmer for 20 minutes covered before serving.
Cooking time (duration): 1 hour(s), 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6-8