By Kelly Bogard
This is the time of year when I really begin to realize how many hats I wear on a daily basis. I have many different Farm Bureau hats. Then there’s my mom hat, wife hat and community volunteer hat. It’s crazy.
The one hat that always brings me back to center is cooking. It’s the fancy tiara in my hat collection. This week’s recipe is my happy place.
For Ham & Cheese Quiche, you will need…
¾ cup half and half
½ cup milk
½ lb. ham, cubed
½ small yellow onion, chopped
1 pkg. frozen chopped broccoli
1 ½ cups Swiss cheese
1 frozen pie crust
Salt and pepper to taste
I have heard many times that “real men” don’t eat quiche. They are missing out. I’m pretty sure all of the guys that sampled this week’s recipe would agree.
With the ham mixture cooking, turn your attention to the eggs. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and half and half until good and fluffy. Then add in 1 cup of the Swiss cheese. Season well with salt and pepper.
Now that the ham and veggies are cooked down, remove any excess liquid and you are ready to assemble. Spread the ham and veggie mixture in the bottom of your pie crust. I like to use a frozen crust for this as I tend to make my homemade crust too thin for heavier pies. I leave it in the freezer until right before it is time to fill.
In my opinion, Quiche is just a fancy word for omelet pie. It is a quick and easy way to get to your happy place whether it is in the kitchen or at the dinner table. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Ham & Cheese Quiche
Summary: Hearty meal from the heart
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup half and half
- ½ cup milk
- ½ lb. ham, cubed
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pkg. frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 ½ cups Swiss cheese
- 1 frozen pie crust
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the broccoli by the package instructions.
- Strain as much water off as possible.
- Mix together the ham, onion and broccoli in a large pan.
- Cook down to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Whisk eggs, milk and half and half until fluffy.
- Add 1 cup of the Swiss cheese. Stir well.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pie crust from the freezer.
- Spread the ham and veggie mixture in the bottom of your pie crust.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Let set for 20 minutes before serving.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 30 – 40 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6-8