By Kelly Bogard
There is this “love”ly holiday coming up called Valentine’s Day. It’s a day for people to show and share their love with those who mean the most to them. At my house, it also is my mother-in-law’s birthday—which is perfect because we do love her so much. What’s not so cool is the hoards of people we will encounter if we try to take her out for a nice meal.
Long lines and waits are not something that we like, especially with a three-year-old. Our solution is to make that day extra special by cooking a meal for her at home. This year, we may mix it up with a birthday breakfast of Stuffed French Toast.
For Stuffed French Toast, you will need…
1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread
1 container (8 oz.) flavored cream cheese (We like cinnamon honey nut.)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 Tbsp. butter
Breakfast is a big deal in our house. After all, it is the most important meal of the day. And who says that meal has to be in the morning? Breakfast for dinner—why not?
First things, first. In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and milk. Once combined, add the sugar, cinnamon and vanilla, stirring well. Then pour the mixture into a pie plate and set aside.
Next, take two slices of cinnamon raisin bread and spread a thin layer of the cream cheese on one slice. Top it with the second piece of bread to make a sandwich. Repeat to accommodate as many people as you are serving.
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. While melting, dip each sandwich in the egg mixture and set aside on a plate. Then, one by one, add a sandwich into the skillet to cook.
Let the sandwich brown on one side and then flip to brown the other. Repeat these steps until all of the sandwiches have been cooked.
You may want to lightly dust the top of each with powdered sugar and serve with syrup.
I just love making breakfast, and this recipe makes it extra special for those I love. Happy birthday to my sweet mother-in-law, Cindy, and I hope you all have a wonderful day filled with love.
From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Stuffed French Toast
Summary: Warm and creamy sandwiches for your sweetie
- 1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread
- 1 pkg. (8 oz. ) flavored cream cheese (We like cinnamon honey nut.)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tbsp. butter
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk gently. Add the sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour into a pie plate and set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on one slice of bread and top with the second to make a sandwich. Repeat until you have the desired number of servings.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- One sandwich at a time, dip each side in the egg mixture and then add to the skillet.
- Brown on one side and then flip to brown the other.
- Repeat for all sandwiches.
- Lightly dust the top of each with powdered sugar (optional), and serve with syrup.
Prep time (duration): 15 minutes
Cooking time (duration): 5-8 minutes
Number of servings (yield): approximently 8 sandwiches