By Kelly Bogard
Is there a gadget or tool in your kitchen that you just can’t live without? Would it turn your world upside down if it broke? For me, my go-to kitchen tool is my slow cooker, especially now that it’s starting to get cooler and my days seem to be jumbling into one big holiday event.
One of my husband’s favorite meals is Slow Cooked Carnitas—a quick and easy pork roast, shredded and served with a sweet and savory sauce.
For Slow Cooked Carnitas, you will need…
2-3 lbs. carnitas or pork roast, chunked
1 medium yellow onion, quartered
3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cans French onion soup
1 jar apricot preserves
salt and pepper to taste
The best part is I can pull this recipe together in 5 minutes flat, throw it in the slow cooker, and it will be ready for supper that night.
Spread the preserves over the mixture in the slow cooker. I use sugar-free preserves, just to make it a little lighter on the carbs. But I’ll admit, the regular preserves make it a little sweeter and tastier.
This dish is great with tortillas or over rice and can be used for several meals in a week. Next time you have a day you know will be crazy, pull out your slow cooker and make this family-pleaser.
From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Slow Cooked Carnitas
Summary: Slow cooked pork with a sweet and savory sauce
- 2-3 lbs. carnitas or pork roast, chunked
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 cans French onion soup
- 1 jar apricot preserves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Place in the bottom of a lined slow cooker.
- Add the quartered onion and chopped garlic to the meat.
- Spoon in apricot preserves to cover meat.
- Pour soup over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until fork tender.
- Remove meat and shred with a fork or by hand.
- Reserve sauce for dipping or pouring over meat.
- Serve over rice or in a tortilla.
Prep time (duration): 5-10 minutes
Cook time (duration): 6-8 hours
Number of servings (yield): 4-6