By Kelly Bogard
Thanks to the crazy Texas weather over the past month, we’ve had quite a bit of rain. And the vegetation is really taking off in the central part of the state. Everything seems to be blooming all at once, making for some great colors and options at the grocery store.
I like to get away from the kitchen heat around this time of year, so I can spend time outside soaking up the sunshine. This means quicker meals are needed. Lucky for me, it’s also National Salad month, so I can take advantage of the fresh produce and the sunshine. Check out this week’s salad for inspiration in your kitchen.
For Fiesta Chicken Salad you will need…
4 thin chicken breasts
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
1 head of romaine lettuce
4 corn tortillas
1 bunch green onions
1 ear of corn
1 c Queso Fresco
1 c black beans, drained & rinsed
One of the great things about this salad is you can make the chicken ahead of time. Having some meal prep done on a rainy day can help get you ahead so you have more time to spend enjoying the sunny days.
While your chicken is cooking, prepare all of the other ingredients. Cut the lettuce, dice the tomatoes, avocados and green onions. Cut the kernels of corn from the ear and crumble the Queso Fresco cheese. Slice the limes in half.
Slice one chicken breast and place it on a bed of salad. I like to keep the avocado, tortilla strips and cilantro to the side, so you can add as much or as little desired. Serve with a fresh lime half for dressing or you can add a dressing of your choice.
Cooking and refrigerating in the chicken in advance is a great meal prep idea that can save you time in the kitchen later in your week. I hope you get a few days of sunshine this weekend. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Fiesta Chicken Salad
Summary: Light and easy spring salad
- 4 thin chicken breasts
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 ear of corn
- 1 c Queso Fresco
- 1 c black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 limes
- Season the chicken with taco seasoning and cook in oil over medium heat until cooked through. Allow to cool.
- Rough chop the lettuce.
- Dice the tomatoes, avocados and green onions.
- Cut the corn from the cob.
- Slice the tortillas into strips.
- Crumble the cheese.
- Brown the corn in the pan drippings from the chicken.
- Mix the lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, beans, corn and cheese together in a large salad bowl.
- Leave other vegetables to the side with the tortilla strip for each person to add as they desire.
- Slice one chicken breast for each individual salad.
- Place the chicken on a large bed of the salad mix.
- Serve with a fresh lime half for dressing.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 20 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4