By Kelly Bogard
There are some recipes you know by heart. Such is the case with many of my family’s recipes. There are staples at our Thanksgiving feast each year and many follow the “you just know” recipe style.
When I asked my sweet momma for this week’s recipe, she told me those exact words. So I’m going to try my best to break it down so you can know, too.
For Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole, you will need…
2 pkg. frozen chopped broccoli
1 8-oz. jar cheese sauce
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can of water
salt and pepper to taste
This recipe is one from my great-aunt Clair. She passed away before I was born, but I can’t help but feel a little closer to her when we have it on special occasions like Thanksgiving.
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is heating up, combine the frozen broccoli and water in a medium sauce pan to heat through.
With your broccoli cooking, spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Then, add a layer of uncooked instant rice. About a cup and a half should do. Just enough to cover the bottom of the pan well.
Then, take the hot broccoli and spoon it over the rice, reserving the water in the pot.
Add the soup and cheese to the water and place over medium heat until everything is well combined. Then, simply pour the soup mixture over the broccoli and rice and into the oven it goes for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
As far back as I can remember, this has been a part of our Thanksgiving meal. And I hope you’ll add it to yours, too. Make sure to check back next week for another Thanksgiving great. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
Summary: Warm and filling Thanksgiving staple
- 2 pkg. frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 8-oz. jar cheese sauce
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can of water
- instant rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine water and broccoli in a pot. Heat through.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add a single layer of uncooked rice to the dish (approx. 1 to 1 ½ cups).
- Spoon the broccoli over the rice saving the water in the pot.
- Stir the soup and cheese into the warm water and place over medium heat until well combined..
- Pour the warm soup mix over the broccoli.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 40 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 10-12
Leave A Comment