By Nathan Smith
Texas ranchers raise the most beef in the country–a good thing because this week, it’s what’s for dinner.
Beef short ribs can be tricky, but with the right ingredients cooked at the right temperature, they are hard to beat. I combined short ribs and Shiner Black to make what turned out to be an easy and delicious main dish with a Texas twist.
When preparing anything in a slow cooker, it’s important to give yourself enough time. These boneless short ribs need every minute of six hours to achieve perfection.
For Shiner Slow-Cooked Short Ribs, you will need…
2 lbs. boneless beef short ribs
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
2 medium onions, sliced
5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with a knife
12 oz. Shiner Bock Bohemian Black Lager
1 qt. beef stock
1/8 cup cilantro
This was my first time to try ribs in a crock pot, and it worked out great!
To begin, in a medium sauce pan, reduce the quart of beef stock to about 1-1/2 cups and set aside. Next, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and then dredge in flour until well coated.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear the dredged ribs until browned on each side, about 5 minutes per side.
When browned on both sides, remove the ribs from the skillet and set aside. Reserve pan drippings for later. To a slow cooker, add the onion as a bed, then add the seared short ribs. I used half of a red onion and one medium white onion. Add any juice or drippings reserved from the pan to the slow cooker.
Now add the Shiner Black, reduced beef stock, smashed garlic cloves, cilantro, butter and some more salt and black pepper. Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to high.
Cook for approximately 6 hours or until tender. Whether served over egg noodles or on their own, these ribs should fall apart and melt in your mouth.
From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Shiner Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
Summary: Shiner Black and beef short ribs
- 2 lbs. boneless beef short ribs
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with a knife
- 12 oz. Shiner Bock Bohemian Black Lager
- 1 qt. beef stock
- 1/8 cup cilantro
- Reduce beef stock to 1-1/2 cups and set aside.
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Dredge ribs in flour and then sear for 5 minutes on each side.
- Place sliced onions in slow cooker.
- Add ribs and drippings to slow cooker, along with cilantro and garlic.
- Add Shiner, butter and beef stock to slow cooker.
- Place the lid on top and turn slow cooker to high for 6 hours.
Prep time (duration): 30 minutes
Cooking time (duration): 6 hours
Number of servings (yield): 4