By Kelly Bogard
Preparing for a family gathering can be a tough challenge. You set the date and time. You invite the guests. But what about the food?
It has to look good, taste good and fill everyone’s stomachs! Sounds like a job for lasagna.
That means a plate smothered with an abundance of noodles, tomato sauce, meat and cheese. What’s not to love?
For Four-Cheese Lasagna, you will need…
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. Sweet Italian sausage
3 cans (14.5 oz.) diced Italian tomatoes
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 small yellow onion, diced
9 lasagna noodles, cooked
Salt and pepper to taste
Lasagna is perfect for a large crowd and goes great with a green salad and garlic bread. Plus, you can make it ahead of time and let it bake while your guests are arriving.
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. While the oven is heating, combine the ground meat and sausage with the garlic and onion in a large pan. Cook through.
Starting with meat on the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking dish, layer the ingredients. After the meat, add three noodles followed by a layer of the cheese mixture. Repeat this process until all of the ingredients are used. Be sure to end with a layer of meat. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
It may seem like it takes a long time to put together, but it will definitely save you time when your guests arrive. Added bonus–it tastes amazing. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Four-Cheese Lasagna
Summary: A classic Italian feast
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 lb. Sweet Italian sausage
- 3 cans (14.5 oz.) diced Italian tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together beef, sausage, garlic and onion.
- Brown the meat in a large skillet.
- Mix cottage, ricotta, Parmesan and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs to the cheese mixture and set aside.
- Remove excess grease from meat mixture and stir in tomatoes. Heat for an additional five minutes.
- Layer parts starting with part of the meat mixture in the bottom of the 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Top with three noodles.
- Add a layer of cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with meat on the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove foil and add remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted on top.
Prep time (duration): 0 hour(s), 30 minutes
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 50 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 12