By Kelly Bogard
Well, we made it to 2015! Last year was busy and slightly stressful for most. But we say that at the end of each year, right? I know I do.
And at the beginning of each new one, I make resolutions–some that stick, others that don’t. My two main ones this year are to take better care of my physical and mental well-being. In other words, I plan to eat better and be nicer.
I’m sure there are naysayers that are positive I can’t do both, but I’m going to try my best. So, let me share one recipe that should cover both.
For Skinny Chicken Ziti, you will need…
1 ½ lbs. chicken breast, cubed
1 ½ tsp. garlic salt
1 head broccoli, stemmed & chopped
1 box whole wheat penne pasta
1 cup unsalted chicken broth
1 cup skim milk
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 to 2 tbsp. flour
½ tsp. black pepper
This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite not-so-good-for-you ones. I am a huge fan of cream sauce and pasta. And by adjusting things like the fat, whole grains and sodium, I can make one of my guilty pleasures just a little less guilty.
Start a large pot of water to boil for the pasta and turn your attention back to the chicken. Once cooked almost through, add the chopped broccoli. Continue cooking until chicken is done. Remove it all from the pan.
In the same pan used for the chicken, combine the chicken broth, milk and shredded Parmesan over medium heat. Whisk constantly to prevent the cheese from burning as it melts. Because you are using skim milk, it will be thinner than a full fat cream sauce.
Use a teaspoon or less of olive oil to prepare an 8 x 8 baking dish. Pour the pasta mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with a little additional cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
I think this is a great way to start off the New Year. A little bit of good so you don’t feel bad. I’m looking forward to all the great recipes of 2015. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Skinny Chicken Ziti
Summary: Delightful and light dinner
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breast, cubed
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic salt
- 1 head broccoli, stemmed & chopped
- 1 box whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 2 tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Heat olive oil and sauté chicken in garlic salt.
- Boil pasta.
- Add broccoli to chicken and cook through.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Remove chicken and broccoli and set aside.
- Combine the chicken broth, milk, and shredded Parmesan over medium heat. Stir constantly.
- Simmer for approximately five minutes.
- Add flour, if needed, to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add chicken mixture and sauce to the pasta pot. Stir well to combine.
- Prepare an 8×8 baking dish with olive oil.
- Pour the pasta into the baking dish and top with a small amount of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6-8