By Kelly Bogard
Your Thanksgiving guests are still at your house, and everyone’s tired of turkey leftovers. What are you going to do?
My mom is the hostess supreme, and I’ve never seen her crack under pressure when it comes to what to serve. Years ago, she taught me how to make Chicken Cordon Bleu. It sounds hard to make, but somehow she was able to turn this into a quick, easy recipe that’s loved by all.
For Chicken Cordon Bleu, you will need…
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 slices baked deli ham
1 package frozen broccoli florets, cooked
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
2 cups plain bread crumbs
1 stick salted butter
The best part is you can cook these in the microwave, saving about an hour of time.
First, pound out your chicken breasts to half-inch thickness. I use a plastic bag and metal mallet to get this done quickly. While you are pounding the chicken, go ahead and melt your butter in the microwave and cook your broccoli.
The most important thing about this recipe is to create an assembly line. Lay your chicken flat and place a piece of ham over it.
Then spoon in about a tablespoon of broccoli.
Top with your cheese.
Now roll up your chicken and secure with toothpicks so that none of the yummy bits fall out.
Next, coat the chicken in the melted butter.
Finally, roll it in the bread crumbs so it is coated on all sides and place in a glass dish.
Once you have all of the chicken breasts prepared, go ahead and sprinkle any of the leftover ingredients over the top of the glass dish. Make sure to pour the butter on last.
Pop the glass dish in the microwave and cover it with a sheet of waxed paper. Cook for 20-30 minutes on high, turning the chicken in the dish about halfway through. Cook until the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, measuring with a meat thermometer.
When it is done, your kitchen will smell amazing, and your guests will be more than impressed with your culinary skills. (And I won’t tell them about the microwave if you don’t.)
Try this out with your remaining holiday house guests—or maybe just on a busy weeknight when you need a quick dinner fix.
From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Chicken Cordon Bleu
Summary: Fancy-made-easy chicken dish
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices baked deli ham
- 1 package frozen broccoli florets, cooked
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 cups plain bread crumbs
- 1 stick salted butter
- waxed paper
- Tenderize chicken breasts to half-inch thickness.
- Melt butter and cook broccoli. Set aside.
- Place one slice of ham on the flattened chicken.
- Spoon one tablespoon of cooked broccoli on the ham.
- Top with cheese.
- Roll and secure chicken with toothpicks.
- Coat the chicken in butter.
- Roll in bread crumbs to coat all sides.
- Place in a microwave-safe glass dish and repeat steps until all chicken is in the dish.
- Sprinkle remaining ingredients over prepared chicken and drizzle with butter.
- Cover with waxed paper and cook on high for 20-30 minutes in the microwave, turning the chicken halfway through. Cook until chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, measuring with a meat thermometer.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Prep time (duration): 20 minutes
Cook time (duration): 20-30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6