By Kelly Bogard
As school ends and summer begins, it’s getting harder to find time to make big meals. Especially when you just want to be outside watching the kids play. It’s the last weekend before most kids get out of school for the year. And, just like them, I can’t wait to have some time in the sun on the warm days to come.
With the end of the school year also comes more group activities with family and friends. That’s more opportunities for trying out new snacks!
For Turkey Lettuce Wraps, you will need…
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 c. matchstick carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 6.7-oz. can water chestnuts, drained and cubed
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1/4 c. hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
green leaf lettuce
Extremely quick and easy to make. And can be served hot or cold. Either way, these wraps are packed with flavor.
Once the turkey is cooked, add in the carrots, garlic, water chestnuts, green onion and ginger. Return to medium-low heat to simmer. I like to save a little onion and carrot to add some crunch to the final dish. Season well with salt and pepper.
This is a great snack to have on hand. And it’s good for you, too! I hope you enjoy this non-official start of summer and are looking forward to many warm days ahead. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Summary: Refreshing light snack for summer
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 c. matchstick carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6.7-oz. can water chestnuts, drained and cubed
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 c. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- green leaf lettuce
- Cook the turkey over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Once cooked, add in the vegetables and turn heat to medium-low.
- Mix together sauces and vinegar and pour over the meat.
- Stir and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce reduces.
- Serve warm or chill for later use.
- Spoon over lettuce pieces big enough to fold or roll.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 20 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6-8