By Kelly Bogard
I can’t believe it’s already March! Little league and soccer are in full swing. And the kids are getting ready for spring break. Growing up, I used to love that weeklong break. It was a sign of things to come in the summer.
It was also the time that I got to start working in the kitchen. Simple recipes that my brother, sister and I could help prepare. And loved to eat! Back then, our favorite was scrambled eggs with toast and bacon. Now, it’s a combo of all three in one dish.
This recipe is a simple, one dish meal. It’s a great way to introduce your kiddos to cooking and learning their way around the kitchen. And it’s a balanced breakfast to give them a satisfying start to their day.
Pour off the excess bacon grease from the pan and place the pan back over medium heat. Center the bread in the pan to start toasting. Place the cut-out piece of the bread in the pan, too, so you can use it as a dipper for the cooked egg while eating. Some people prefer their eggs more cooked so you add a little jelly for a touch of sweetness on that bit of toast. Crumble the bacon into the hole in the bread.
Once the egg begins to set, carefully flip the bread and egg. This can be a bit tricky to flip without breaking the egg so be careful. As the other side of the bread begins to toast, sprinkle the grated cheese on the egg and continue cooking until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts.
Repeat this process as needed to feed all those hungry mouths. I hope you parents out there get to spend a little time with your kids over spring break. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Toad in a Hole
Summary: Fun breakfast dish to get the kids in the kitchen
- 1 slice of bread (I use seven-grain)
- 1 egg
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 c. cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over high heat.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the center out of your bread.
- Remove excess grease from the pan and turn heat to medium.
- Place the bread in the center of the pan and place the cut-out piece into the pan to toast as well.
- Crumble the bacon into the hole in the bread.
- Top with an egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the egg begins to set, flip the bread and egg to cook the other side.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Cook until bread is toasted and the cheese has melted.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 10 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 1