By Kelly Bogard
Your heart is important. Not only in the emotional sense. But also in the physical sense. We can’t live without a heart to pump the blood to our body. And February is Heart Health month.
So, what’s good for your heart? Lean protein. Not only does it have health benefits. It tastes good to boot. That’s where this week’s recipe comes in. We’re getting our steak on.
For Oven Beef Kabobs, you will need…
1 ½ -2 lbs. top sirloin steak
1 green bell pepper
1 medium eggplant
½ medium yellow onion
1 pkg. grape tomatoes
1 16-oz. bottle fat-free Italian dressing
6-8 baking skewers
The steak, along with good veggies, can make a quick and easy meal. It’s also very versatile. It can be prepared in both the oven or on a grill. Today, because there is still a bit of chill in the air, we’re going to try out the oven version.
First, chop all of the vegetables and steak into large chunks. Cover with all but about ½ cup of the Italian dressing and marinate for at least one hour. Save the rest of the dressing for basting during the cooking process. If you use wooden skewers, soak them in water for approximately one hour as well.
Once the meat and veggies are marinated, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Slide the meat and veggies onto the skewers and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping and basting with the additional dressing about 15-20 minutes in.
These kabobs are a nice way to love your heart and tummy at the same time. Good for you and satisfying. From all of us at Texas Table Top, enjoy!
Recipe: Oven Beef Kabobs
Summary: Heart-healthy dinner with amazing flavor
- 1 ½ -2 lbs. top sirloin steak
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium eggplant
- ½ medium yellow onion
- 1 pkg. grape tomatoes
- 1 16-oz. bottle fat-free Italian dressing
- 6-8 baking skewers
- Chop all of the vegetables and steak into large chunks.
- Cover with all but ½ cup of fat-free Italian dressing and marinate for at least one hour.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for approximately one hour as well.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Slide meat and veggies onto each skewer, trying to be as even as possible.
- Place the prepared skewers on lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, flip and baste.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
Cooking time (duration): 0 hour(s), 40 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 3-4